Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Some Television Thoughts, Plus Violence in Film and TV

First of all, I just wanted to say that I managed to get my hands on "Dead Snow", which Kenton Larsen suggested to me. I'll watch it when I get the time, and when I do, I'll post my thoughts.

It's been a tough week for me, school-wise. Failed a PR assignment I'd have otherwise done very well on, because I didn't capitalize the "t" in "YouTube". I felt extraordinarily dumb after that, and have sworn to never make that mistake again. The problem is that I'm so used to not capitalizing it, I just didn't think to check, even though I was actually ON the YouTube wiki page to look something up as I was writing the assignment.

I also got back my streeter assignment, and failed it as well due to a foolish spelling error. I spelt a name wrong (in my defence, her name was very unusual). I had the name right in my interview notes, but spelt it wrong as I was writing my article. Another foolish mistake I don't want to make again. But I do feel pretty lousy about failing...I'm not used to it!

Monday is my big tv night...at least in the sense that so far it is the only night I have more than one show to watch. I watch Heroes and Trauma. I do wonder why I even bother with Heroes any more. It is a tragedy, because the first season was fantastic, second season mediocre and finally, the third season was almost impossible to watch. This new season is not looking much better. At this point I only really watch because I want to know what happens in the end. I don't know if it will last more than another season or two because the ratings have been dropping, and it is a very expensive show to produce (ensemble cast, excellent special effects, etc).

On a better note, I did like last night's Trauma. More character development, and a really interesting story line. "Rabbit" is still my favourite character, he's the only intriguing one really. I'll be watching again next week. It's a very gory tv show though, and since I can be quite squeamish, there were some unpleasant parts. I'm a bit strange when it comes to violence and gore. In movies and on tv, I can watch people get shot, stabbed, etc, but show me a guy about to get his arm chewed up in machinery, or a gushing leg wound...and I freak out. There were moments I was covering my eyes and squealing, much to the amusement of my Mom, who is a retired nurse.

Similarly, the gore is why I had to cover my eyes during Watchmen. I said that normally I can take violence, but there were bits in that film that were just too much for me. I guess you can say I don't like disgusting things, or the aftermath of a violent act. I can take it and am fine with watching most movies or tv shows with stuff like that, but I may have to cover my eyes. But violence for the sake of violence (for example, the Saw franchise) does bother me. I used to be a bit more fearless when it came to that sort of thing but more recently, I've started to become more affected by it. I'm sure ER showed things as bloody and gory as Trauma did last night, but it never got to me. Maybe the reality of the situation being shown is starting to hit me harder than it once did? Or maybe I have just developed a weaker stomach. Needless to say, I would prefer not to have to deal with gushing leg wounds anytime soon, though should I be presented with such a situation, I promise to try not to faint, cry or throw up.

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear how you like Dead Snow.

    The worst thing to watch on TV: any kind of reality show about "surgery." Worse than anything, including Nazi zombies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be able to watch those surgery shows no problem when I was younger. Now I don't think I could at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you link to your blog my review of FIDO, I will link to your review of Dead Snow (which I think we should watch together anyways). This business is called "networking". Oooor "bargaining". Oooor "manipulation". Not sure which one.

    Regardless; I have less of a problem with violence for the sake of violence opposed to situational violence/trauma like that in ER. I always feel like the situations are scripted after real instances (at least partially) therefore they could happen to me or my loved ones. I am rarely going to get thrown into a vat of needles. Rarely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I would be happy to link to your review. As for Dead Snow, it's on my laptop, so unless someone is super smart and able to figure out how to do the cable thing to get it on a tv, it'll have to be viewed on my lap top. We should figure out a time to watch it though! :)

    Situational violence gets me too. I don't like thinking about things that could happen to people I love or myself. But you'd be surprised how often people get thrown into vats of needles.

    ReplyDelete